If I’m being honest, 2020 was one of my best years, rivaled only by 2017 (the year I graduated from college, got married, moved to New Castle, and started my career). Despite the shit show of the world around us, 2020 gave me so much: Chad and I bought a house, we brought home Wally, and I started my business.
To say the least, 2021 did not have the same kind of oomph for us. In fact, there were some pretty significant lows; for example, getting covid was a pretty devastating plot twist. The country faced significant issues too, starting with the capitol insurrection on January 6.
I’m tired. We’re all tired. This week alone, my state has faced multiple catastrophes: a gunman caused a mass shooting, Boulder had a wildfire that has turned into Colorado’s most destructive fire to date (in WINTER, might I add!), there have been countless accidents and road closures due to dangerous blizzard conditions, covid numbers are breaking records, and to top it all off, Betty White died.
It all adds up. At some point, all of the tragedies seem to compound and manifest in a giant ball of energy-sucking angst. I’m a little jipped and jaded and I’m not trying to stay that way.
So, in an attempt to rediscover a little joy and gratitude, for my own sanity and my dwindling source of sunshine, here’s a little pick me up. Without further ado, here’s a brief list of highlights from my past year, created as a reminder of the light and happiness and opportunities that have crossed my path, big and small.
- Getting vaccinated! This was the biggest relief and light-through-the-tunnel moment.
- A new president took over (not my choice, but it was impactful and worth celebrating nonetheless)
- We skied our winter away
- My parents got a pool! It’s my favorite, happiest place!
- Going to San Diego with Chad
- Going to Florida with my parents
- My parents surprised me with tickets to Universal Studios and I’ve never felt so spoiled
- A weekend away in Durango
- A weekend away in Vail
- Lots of family time spent with my parents and brother and his family
- We refinanced our house
- Chad and I celebrated 10 years together
- I got to see my besties Alexis and Jessica twice! Once in Denver, once in New Castle 🙂
- New Castle went from zero coffee shops to TWO
- Wally was goofy, floofy, and as cuddly as ever
- I coached high school softball
- We got to go to a wedding
- Chad and I have gotten closer with our shy niece
- I recovered from covid!
- I bought a treadmill, and used it
- My business has been doing good! My feature in ShoutOut Colorado was cool 🙂
- We made some delicious salsa
- Chad got us snow tires for our tires, which has been a really excellent and necessary upgrade
- We spent time and made many fun memories with our neighbors
- There were some great shows and movies that we watched! Also, went to the movie theater a few times and it was wonderful
- So many of our close friends are pregnant and having babies! Can’t wait to be the cool auntie Sav 🙂
- We got to see my brother and his family before they moved to Turkey
What’s next?! I’m not sure, but I’m looking forward to finding out. Maybe, just maybe, this one can be our year.