Chad and I are embarking on what feels like a total adventure: selling our house, taking some time off, and moving across the country—from Colorado to Milwaukee.
We are feeling all that there is to feel: excitement, nervousness, anticipation. Mostly though, we’re ready to tackle all of our puzzle-piece to do list. We’ve got a lot to achieve and sort out in a pretty quick time frame.
Here’s our practical to-do list—the things we need to do in order to move cross-country.
- Sell our house. (Can you believe it?! I absolutely cannot.) We listed at the end of last week, are several showings deep, and ready to get to the next step.
- Make an eye appointment (I need contacts soon and would rather not wait 6+ months for new health benefits to kick in).
- Sell Chad’s Jeep. (He’s had it since he was 16 – might be a tough step.)
- Sell most of our furniture. We have a giant couch that we’re not taking with us! Hit me up for details, lol.
- Pack up the rest of our stuff. Luckily, I think we’ve been pretty good about not accumulating too much junk, though we have a *lot* of tools that might not serve us in our Milwaukee apartment. 😉
- Book/schedule movers. We’ve been “gaming out” a ton of different scenarios—moving it all, getting storage until we buy, etc.
- Find a vet for Wally, and have our current vet transfer his files over. Same with a groomer, boarder, and possibly doggy daycare.
- Schedule grooming appointments for all of us (lol) – me, Wally, and Chad could all use a haircut.
- Move! We’re going to drive all 17 hours, with Wally in the backseat, lol. We have to figure out the best timing to do so, navigating around a closing date and our lease starting date in WI.
- Get officially pre-approved for a loan for homes in Milwaukee.
Here are a few items that we’ve already accomplished.
- Found a temporary place to live! We signed a three-month lease in downtown Milwaukee. It’s pet friendly, too! 🙂
- We met with our realtor (Haddie is the BEST) and nailed down the beginning steps. Our house has been listed and we are ready to sell.
- I’ve been selling stuff like crazy on FB Marketplace, from our giant kitchen table to extra snowboards.
- Cleaned! Lots and lots and lots of cleaning to get our house ready for showings.
- I bought Chad and I some heavy duty winter jackets!
- Free covid tests have been ordered. I’m thinking they’ll come in handy during the move.
- I had a free consultation with a moving company, who took photos of all our stuff and will send over a free quote.
- Chad and I have connected with a realtor in Milwaukee! We had a consultation and have been researching homes on the MLS.
- We have applied for pre-approval for a house loan for future us in Milwaukee and started working with a local lender. Excited to get the ball rolling there!
- We are working with an electrician for our current home – one of our lights went out and he’s been helping us to fix a bunch of issues we never knew about. It feels like a nice thing to do for the future owners.
Here are a few things we’ll have to do once we’re officially moved.
- Look at homes in Milwaukee, submit an offer, and …
- Buy a home! Because our apartment lease is 3-months, we’ll be on a tight deadline.
- Buy tickets back to Colorado. Lol, we have several 2022 events to make it back for, from weddings to Wine Fest to Chad’s 10 year high school reunion.
- Immerse ourselves in the local activities, restaurants, and culture. I can’t wait to explore and get to know MKE.
- Figure out the logistics of continuing my business!
- After buying a new house, it will be a good idea to look into getting a new car for Chad and replacing several furniture items. Definitely waiting until after closing, especially with any major purchases or opening new lines of credit.
Here are some of the things we’d love to do before we take off to Wisconsin.
- Make several trips to Grand Junction, to see my parents as much as possible and drop off many boxes to Goodwill. 🙂
- Ski! A lot! We have season passes, so time to get our money’s worth in a short time frame. Plus, not a lot of mountains in Wisconsin.
- Go to Denver. We have many friends to see! In addition to seeing my brother and his family, so many of our besties live in Denver and we’d like to say goodbye.
- Soak in hot springs. We have a LOT of gift cards to use!
- Hang out with our neighbors. Truthfully, hanging out with our neighbors in their garage has been one of my favorite things about our time in our house.
- Spend some time in Aspen. We’ve really never sent any time in our nearby famous town, so it would be nice to experience it a little.
- Remember to live in the moment and enjoy where we are. We have such love for Colorado, and we want to make sure to soak up every single minute of sunshine.