Spring is here and the pressure is on. We are fighting the clock, trying to prepare and transform our backyard from drab to fab by summertime.
Though I feel 100% more comfortable designing and altering the interior of our home, creating an inviting landscape is a welcome challenge. I hope that we are able to cultivate a space that matches our expectations and is an outdoor oasis.
At best, I’d describe our backyard as bleak and bland. We’ve battled overgrown weeds and mounds of dog poop (thankfully, I dedicated a few hours and picked allllllll of it up) and unused space. We’ve started our transformation already, which has resulted in several large piles of weeds and debris that need to be hauled away.
We have three main goals correlating to different areas in our yard.
Side yard: clear out the raised bed (removing plants and woodchips and rocks), place pavers on the dirt, add a pergola, transform the space into an outdoor seating oasis.
Back yard: re-plant grass seeds, locate our sprinkler system controls, rehab our grass into a lush and green paradise.
Garden: clear out the dedicated space (lots of weeds), place pavers on the dirt, build planter boxes, created a designated garden space.
Here’s what needs to happen.
- Continue to clear out the space. We need to rake the wood chips and dig out the roots of several small trees and remove two tree trunk stumps.
- Haul away and clear the piles, then make sure the dirt is level.
- Purchase and lay pavers. Chad mentioned doing half of the raised area with pavers, then doing some landscaping with grass or rocks in the other part.
- Add a pergola. Though we initially wanted to build our own, we figured out that we can repurpose a structure that is being used as a cover to our carport, on the front side of our house. We’ll have to get some help to remove the beams and move everything to the backyard, and possibly get more lumber.
- Make steps. Not sure how yet (specifically, what kind of materials), but Chad has a vision in mind.
- Move and purchase furniture as needed. I’d eventually like a sleek and modern matching space, but that might have to wait. I have some chairs to refinish, and I know I’ll want to do some small decorating with outdoor lights.
- Continue to clean up dog poop as it comes (you really need to stay on top of this—it can easily get out of hand).
- Clear out any piles of debris and weeds.
- Trim a few spots.
- Plant grass seeds, fertilize, and water.
- Re-stain our fence.
- Clear out everything.
- Purchase and lay pavers.
- Build planter boxes with wood. Note: we have purchased the lumber! It’s sitting in our garage, ready for us to start building.
- Buy soil, seeds, fertilizer. Plant. Create labels as well, along with a master plan for the rest of the year and planting schedules. (I’m a super duper plant novice, so this will be especially important for me! I know nothing, very much like Jon Snow.)
- Put up an entry way fence to ensure Wally doesn’t come inside and nibble on anything.
Do you have any advice? Words of wisdom? Helpful anecdotes? Let me know. I’d love to hear and learn!