After being here a full month, here are a few of the things—places, restaurants, experiences—that we’ve explored since arriving in Milwaukee.
March in MKE
Though I usually think of March as the bright introduction to a sunny spring, that hasn’t really been the case here in Milwaukee. The weather, as expected, has been on the dreary side, except for a few true gem-like days with blue skies and temperatures that don’t hurt to walk in.
Even though the weather might deter (most) people from walking around, we (Chad) were (was) determined to make the most of our location and to walk to most places we wanted to explore. Our area is called Brewer’s Hill; while it is close to many things, there are a lot more places to see and experience beyond the reach of our feet. While we get used to city driving—a.k.a. the craziest driving tactics I have ever seen—I expect us to explore more and more.
One of the best ways that we’ve explored is by choosing places to go eat. Restaurants are my love language, so I have truly enjoyed this part of exploring the city. Here are a few of my favorite places so far:
Here are a few breweries and coffee shops as well:
- Lakefront Brewery
- Mobcraft Beer Brewery
- Eagle Park Brewing Company
- Alderaan Coffee
- Discourse Coffee Workshop
Experiences in MKE
So far we’ve done a few cool things! Not too many, but enough to get our feet wet. 🙂 These have included:
- A long walk on the beaches on the shores of Lake Michigan. This was my favorite! Can’t believe how much this lake looks and feels like an ocean.
- Driving through the fancy homes along the coast. Similarly, there are some incredible little mansions just a block or two off the lake. It was incredible to drive through and imagine living in these gorgeous houses.
- Walking around the east side. Close by is a super trendy and hip area where Wally now goes to doggie daycare. It was really fun to explore this spot and to find more places to seek out.
- River walks – since our apartment is located on the Milwaukee River, it has been a treat to use the riverwalk for daily walks, both on our own and with Wally. Even when it’s cold, the river is beautiful.
- St. Patrick’s Day. On St. Paddy’s Day, Chad and I went to a pub crawl! We met up with a friend from Colorado and had so much fun together.
- Trips to Target. My main philosophy is that we’ll only truly get to know an area when we have to go somewhere repeatedly. This rang true for our million trips to a Target! We got to know that drive really well, and I enjoyed gaining some familiarity.
- Shopping – there’s quite a lot of shopping near MKE. We really enjoyed the Bayshore area, as well as the Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa.
- During our initial visit, we went to the Milwaukee Art Museum. It was wonderful! I can’t wait to return.
Further exploration awaits! 🖤